Integration tests are an important aspect of software development, high code coverage does improve code quality. But the tests need to be flexible and fast so they do not hinder the developers in their daily work. On the build server speed doesn’t matter that much, but a good test suite must be fast enough so that the developers choose to use it instead of running the system manually to test their features. Thats how you get good code coverage. Sadly publishing a dacpac is anything but fast. But there are clever tactics you can apply to make it work good as your daily testing platform.
T4 doesn’t play well with Dot Net Core, but we now have the dotnet CLI toolset we can use instead.
I implemented my client/server event aggregation library in Vue yesterday and thought it was time for React. I must say React is alot different from Vue, and since I come from Knockout Vue was very easy to adopt. Though after som fiddling I got the hang of it. 😀
I have ment to look into Vue for a long time. Finally I took my time and fell in love right away. The simplicity and modularity is just great. I also saw how easy you can extend it so I decided to implement a plugin for my SignalR event aggregation library.
Event aggregation is really a pattern i like, there is something elegant about firing events and subscribers can listen to them without knowing who fired them. This creates decoupled domains both in backends and frontends. Back in 2013, at my customer of that time we saw an increasing demand for pub / sub and immediate update. We fired events on the backend event bus and in the frontend we had SignalR Hubs that picked up the events and forwarded them to the clients. This caused duplicated and similar code both on the client and on the web server. I decided to create an abstraction layer between SignalR and the event aggregator. The result is a library called SignalR.EventAggregatorProxy
It has now been ported to support ASP.NET Core, this article will focus on the changes, for the orginal article go here.
We’ve produced a very short devlog about the pathfinding / environmental awareness part of the AI development process for Virtual Warfighter. It describes how we’ve solved the problem of allowing AI soldiers to make different pathfinding choices, more intelligent than just take the shortest path.
We will probably expand upon this in the future by describing more, such as how to make the AI avoid exposed routes in favor of more concealed ones, if possible.
All this is part of the work being done for our upcoming coop game mode.
Whats going on with vs.com? We use it for issue tracking, version control and as a general CI platform. They literary change the UI every week and even daily. It’s very frustrating that you can not be granted to learn the UI and become efficient with it before they change it partially or entirely.
Microsoft, if you read this, continuous delivery is great but changing the UI at this rate is not productive for anyone.
I’ve been looking into smart home systems lately. Z-Wave seemed like a popular choice and I liked the possible scenarios you could achieve with it. So I have played around with it for a few days now, and my final verdict on it, looking through my system architect eyes is that the entire thing must been developed by hackers, at least the software stack. Let me tell you why… (more…)
Hi guys. Long time, no update. But now its time! 😀 I did a little video where I show how it can be adding new features in an existing game code base. Hope you like it
We have been working on a product of our own for the past months, a game for the OpenVR platform (HTC Vive, etc). The game will release this Friday, please check it out here!
Also I might once in a while write game/VR related blogs here, but its still mainly a blog about enterprise business code bases.